Monday, May 5, 2008

Pictures from our weekend...

Saturday was a really fun family day. A couple of weeks ago, we received a very nice gift from the family of one of my students, but it was too small for Payton. So, we went to Worth Avenue on Palm Beach Island to take care of these returns, at Neiman Marcus (or needless mark-up, as Robb calls it!) and Juicy Couture. (for those that may be interested, we exchanged the too-small clothes for an ADORABLE white eyelet dress with a big pink bow on the shoulder...perfect for this summer!) These are not our usual places to shop, so this was kind of fun and interesting! After that, we went to Atlantic Avenue in Delray Beach. It is basically a long strip (ending at the ocean) of little shops and interesting restaurants. A long time ago, we drove past it on our way home from a weekend trip to Ft. Lauderdale. At the time, we thought it looked like a fun "day trip", but just never went back. It was a really great choice for this weekend. Payton LOVES her stroller, and really enjoyed the time playing and looking around. And we enjoyed the time spent together, just taking it easy!





Payton relaxing in her stroller!







Robb and Payton on the beach...we didn't really "go" to the beach, as we didn't go prepared for a beach day, but we wanted to see what it looked like. At this beach, you can rent nice, padded beach chairs. Sounds relaxing, but not terribly so with a baby! She likes to keep moving!




No smile this time...too close to dinner time!




Sunday after church...from this picture, it looks like this Mommy needs a nap! (out of the ones we took, it was the best one of Payton, so I posted it...not the best picture of me, though!)



Sunday night after church, Payton got the giggles for the first time! It was SO cute! Robb and I were laughing so hard we were crying; I was trying to video, and it turned out quite shaky, as I was laughing so much. Robb went to put her pj's on her and started playing with her. She just laughed and laughed.



However, this is all following a ridiculous night at church. After the 3rd trip out of the service, we just went home. (I'm sure no one else ever did this, and I know it may not be the "right" thing to do, but I just didn't have the energy to keep trying after a busy Sunday and facing a busy week.) If anyone has any really good suggestions for getting a busy 3-month-old to sleep in church, I am open for ideas! I told Robb that everyone at Hobe Sound Bible Church probably thinks she is a terribly fussy baby! She really isn't at all. The only time she fusses is when she is getting sleepy and needing a nap...which consistently happens during church. I thought this would be a good thing, but it is proving quite difficult. At home, we just lay her down and she goes to sleep, but at church, there is too much going on, and she is too curious (and a little stubborn, I think!) to just quietly close her eyes...HELP!!!


Today was my first day back at "work." I have really been dreading it so very, very much. I feel like the worst mother ever to leave her (I know it's not true, it just feels like it!), but it's what we really need to do right now. Thank you to my friends and family who prayed for me...we both had a good morning. I am so thankful for several things:

1. I have family to leave her with (thank you, Bianca and Mary Ellen!)
2. I only have to go four mornings a week, and am home by 12:30
3. I only miss a couple of hours with her; the rest of the time she is sleeping, since she doesn't wake up until at least 9:00 a.m. and goes back down at 11:00 for her morning nap.
4. The time goes by very quickly at school, as I am very busy.

If you made it to the end of this long blog, thanks for "listening" and have a great week!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What precious pictures! She is sooo cute. I had to chuckle just thinking about her laughing. Their laughes are "catching". I find myself doing the same when Shaley gets tickled.
Hang in there on the church disruption. It eventually gets better (by the time THEY have kids)!!!ha I remember taking Dana out 5 times in one service and finally sitting in the car with BOTH of us crying.
Enjoy your blog and the pics.
Love, Aunt Cheryl

CHolden said...

I love seeing all the pictures on your blog. Payton is so cute! It is so much fun when babies start to interact! Your church struggle has got to be familiar for anyone with babies! One of ours fights us most Sunday mornings (church falls right during nap time). I always make her put her head down and keep it down. We usually have to go out until she quits fighting me though. I guess it's good training time, but it usually feels like church is a three ring circus for us! I'm sure you will find something that works for you and in a few years we will watch other young mothers go out with their fussy little ones and grin that it is their turn now!
Glad to see you all are doing well.
_Kristen

Leah said...

Robyn, I love reading your blog and seeing your pictures! Payton is adorable! Since he will be here this Sunday, I would love to tell you about how one Sunday we took David out 7 times on Sunday morning and after the 5th time Sunday night, we went home. Don't worry - I think we probably all do it and if not, we sure felt like it! You will survive I know it!!

Justin and Jennifer Harris said...

Payton is such a doll! So adorable! I feel for you with the church thing. We have the same issue with Evan because his nap is right during church. I usually have to take him out until he falls asleep as he is so curious about what is going on around him. It is getting better the older he gets.

Steve and Lana Kirk said...

Hey Robyn. This is Lana (Decker)Kirk. I just stumbled across your blog from Silvia's. Peyton is just absolutely adorable! Isn't motherhood the best? I also just recently had a baby...little Ethan was born almost 6 months ago. I totally identify with the struggle of leaving your baby. I went back to work full-time after only 7 weeks. It is so hard to leave Ethan. I work only 4 minutes away and do spend my lunch break with him. I don't know if you are bottle feeding or not...I didn't do the bottle, so it makes it even more difficult to leave him. Thankfully my mom watches him for me. I'm hoping the situation will change at the beginning of the new fiscal year at IWU (where I work).

As far as tips for church, I bring lots and lots of toys :-). I can normally keep Ethan quiet by reading him books, especially ones that have lots of textures for him to touch. He can entertain himself for a while that way. But there are still times he has to be taken out to the nursery. I rock him to sleep there while listening to the servie and then bring him back into the sanctuary. I don't recall if Hobe Sound has the mic system so that you can hear the service in the nursery or not.

Anonymous said...

Everyone says it gets better with age. Well bad news from my end. Kartyr was great until 13 months. Now he is 18 months and we are struggling now more than ever. Every Sunday I dread going to church and he always seems to have to be taken out at least once to learn his lesson. Don't feel bad about leaving the service. Everyone is going to have an opinion about it but you are the parent so make your own choices. Last Sunday I almost left and mine is supposed to be old enough to mind. HAHAHA!! A lot simpler when you are young to think that it is simple to raise children. It changes when they are your own and very stubborn like mine. Good luck!! Dana